Sunday, February 28, 2010

Alarms, bells, and more alarms...,

There are many alarms that go off in a nursing home.
For example, there is the alarm on the machine that drips and re-hydrates a Resident; the alarm on the bed that a Resident uses to call a Tech to the room; the beeps that go off any time someone calls for the elevator with special numbers so that the Residents don't escape; the alarm on the wheel chair seat that goes off when a person steps up out of it; the alarm under the sheets in the event a Resident thinks they can walk.
The meanest loudest is the alarm with a pin in it that is permanently placed on the back of the wheelchair that a Tech clips to the back of the Resident's clothing. This is to notify any one that the Resident is trying to get out of the wheelchair. In this case the pin pulls out and a very loud, piercing shrill alarm goes off.

I know this alarm with the pin personally.
I had tried to get someone to help me take My Lady back to bed, but no one was around. So, knowing that I have upper body strength I thought I could easily take My Lady out of her chair and put her in her bed. No problem--this would be a no-brainer. I had seen the Tech do it many times.
Well, I had forgotten to take the clip off her blouse, so when the pin came out of the alarm and it shrilled, the Nurse and the Tech ran into the room where they found My Lady and I together, having fallen, across the bed. Cozy!
I was chagrined because I thought this Lady would just stand up and I would help her into the bed. Wrong. No chance. She was 140 pounds of dead weight. I think she even tried to lift her feet. I promised myself NEVER to try that again. So much for good intentions; but it did get the help we needed down to our room lickity split! Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment