Thursday, June 21, 2012

My Mom's family and movies... This is the Majestic Theater













The Majestic Theater was built in 1929 and designed by John Eberson. It seats 2311 people and is now owned by the City of San Antonio for the San Antonio Symphony. A machine projects clouds that move over the vast ceiling inside (always did). The Majestic has 3 balconies that were renovated in 1989 and are functional today.

Now that Jeni is working with the ABC TV show "Nashville", did you know our family Quinones has always been in the movie business?

My Grandfather, Daniel Quinones, was the projectionist of the Majestic Theater in the 40's-50's, etc.

My uncles, Dan Quinones (Multiplex Cinemas in North Star Mall in 1950's-60's) and Aunt Ruth's husband, Eliud Garcia (Texas Theater 1950's) and their son, my cousin Jimmy Garcia (don't know where) were all projectionists.

For the record, my interest in movies began early. My Granny, Lydia Quinones, Mom's Mom, used to take me when I was very young (about 5-7 years old) to the second balcony of The Majestic Theater in downtown San Antonio, Texas. The second balcony was free to my Granny and me because my Grand Daddy's being the projectionist.

However, during those years, the second balcony was designated for negro people. My Granny and I would sit right in the middle of all these great people and enjoy the movies. Even at that early age it seemed an injustice to me as my Granny tried to explain why they had to sit in the second balcony. This was one of those times I kept asking, "Why?" I am so glad that has changed during my lifetime!

As Woody Woodpecker would say, "That's All Folks!"
I just wanted you to know...

No comments:

Post a Comment