Friday, May 14, 2010


This book is a very good read if you love music and Nashville. As I read, it gave me more insight into My Lady, her visionary husband and her very talented daughter.

My daughter was also part of the history involved from 1994 through 1999. She was part of the Blair Music Scholarships that were available for Pre-College high school students. My Kid auditioned and received the Blair Myra Jackson and Potter Scholarships her four years of high school. She was in the Nashville Repertory Orchestra and the Nashville Youth Symphony. Cassie found her at a Nashville Symphony clinic for middle school children when my Kid was in the 7th grade. Her instrument was the clarinet and Cassandra Lee, Nashville Symphony clarinetist, asked to teach her personally. Cassie told me she was really impressed with my Kid because she knew how to "tongue" which was a scary thought for this Mom.

Her senior high school year, My Kid won generous Vanderbilt Scholarships for four years to go to Blair School of Music or Vanderbilt. She had already been on this campus for 5 years learning music, but had a desire to be a doctor. I knew it was time to move on to another university. We bartered using Blair's offer and as a result, my Kid went to Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh, PA with 5 Scholarships and Grants when Carnegie matched and surpassed what Blair had offered. To her success she minored in Music Performance in the School of Arts and majored in Biology in the School of Science--working both two separate degrees at the same time which Carnegie Mellon University welcomed.

No comments:

Post a Comment