Saturday, March 17, 2012

Spring!...but my head was the one that sprung.

Another New Experience that involved melting frozen food...

I went about 15 miles from home to save some money by buying at Aldi. When I arrived I walked across the parking lot to Bargain Hunt to get some very good quality printing paper at very cheap prices.
I was tiffed because the woman who checked me out had the personality of dirt and never said a word more than the price. As I walked out, I was complaining in my head when I saw a woman across the parking lot dragging her disabled leg behind her. Oh My! The LORD quickly reminded me that I was able to walk. Attitude change.
In that repent-full vein, I walked back to my car parked at Aldi, used my key to pop the trunk open, got my shopping bags, took the wallet out of my purse, remembered to get my quarter for the push cart, and purposefully left my purse and extra bags, and shut the trunk.

I went into Aldi, bought sterile water by the case, food, and frozen food, and smartly paid from my wallet that was in my pants pocket. However, not until I walked outside to the car did I realize that I did not have MY CAR KEYS. I must have looked like a crazy person frisking my entire body-- from boobs where I put my keys sometimes, to my pants pockets.
I had left my purse with MY KEYS and phone in the trunk of the car. Now, I drive a Cadillac DS, so I know that no one can gimmie it open. (All triple AAA could do would be to haul the car to my apartment. Remember the frozen food???) I went inside Aldi, pulling my melting frozen food behind me, and found a young man to call a taxi.

So I waited, melt melt, and waited till finally a taxivan took me the 15 miles back to my apartment.
I had gotten in with a hidden spare key. The driver emptied the van and helped me carry my food to the door of my home but made the mistake of teasing the dog. This causes her to bark. He continued to help me, now fighting the barking dog the entire way. ha! I quickly put the frozen food up as the taxivan clock was ticking..$$. Done. Phew!
On our way back, this heavily-accented father of 3 children and I discussed his recent arrival to Nashville, his accent and languages. The hardest thing for him to learn to drive a taxi in Nashville was how one street can have so many names i.e. Harding Road, Thompson Lane, Briley Parkway--all the same street. haha! He also mentioned his mother, who he said, he calls regularly, and who has many cattle and goats in Ethiopia, etc. Very interesting.

When we got to my car at Aldi, I found out that this money saving venture only cost me the economical groceries and $25 for taxi fare. I also graciously gave him a $5 tip for hauling the 24-bottle case of water and groceries to my front door while having to fight off my barking dog. What an experience!

BTW: The food was still frozen. Freezer bags work~~

1 comment:

  1. Mamma! It's so bad you had to go through a tough day, but you handled it all well. Inspirational that you take it all as it comes! Love you! ~your niƱa

    ReplyDelete