Sunday, September 29, 2013

El Rancho "Puff Taco" Multimillion Dollar Enterprise not mentioned in TACO USA?

TACO USA is a great read

 if you are interested in the TACO.


This book is 290 pages hardback; index is 21 more pages of references, etc.   What I found lacking was the mention of the El Rancho Mexican Restaurant business in San Antonio from 1941 to 1980. In one paragraph, Mr Arrellano mentions the "puffy taco."
So, I put wrote to Mr Arrellano on FaceBook since this Californian has a "Ask a Mexican" page.  I am sincere about what I say; but I will see if he bites..ha! We had a multimillion dollar food industry with warehouse and kitchen that served 12 full standing restaurants by the time they were sold in 1979. No mention?

"Mr Arrellano. First, I have to say I really enjoyed your Taco U.S.A. book. You used a references to the "Puffy Taco" on page 136. May I introduce you to my deceased parents, Henry and Agnes Westrup, who were the originators of the "Puff Taco" in San Antonio. I was born upstairs of the Mexiquito Mexican Restaurant on Nogalitos Street in 1944. By that time, this first restaurant had been in business since 1941 serving puff tacos. Because Dad was not able to raise menu prices due to WW2 food restrictions, he realized that he could open another restaurant, change the name, and raise menu prices.  39 years and 12+ restaurants later, El Rancho Mexican Restaurants were employing a minimum of 150 employees, 12 managers and 12 assistant managers in training. Anyway, I just wanted you to know that I was so pleased with your extensive research. It was a fun read. Muchas Gracias."

No comments:

Post a Comment