Wednesday, August 15, 2012

I just love Advertising... That's why I Majored in it!

How can I say, "No!" to the big brown eyes of my dog, Lexi, as I look down into this bag of MilkBone... hoping that there is one doggy treat left.
In the photo, you will notice that I do have one treat for my pooch.

More importantly, you will see a "printed AD" which is the bottom of this red and white cellophane MilkBone bag. It comes thru the cellophane upside down because of how I am holding the bag, but it is still readable.
This AD reassures me, as a customer, that this product is making my dog "happy (?)."
I consider this a real Advertising success!

This process reminds me of an artist friend who would always put his name at odd places on his paintings.
He and I were painting at the Art Institute of Chicago when I asked him, "Why do you do this?" He told me, "As artists, we control the eye movements of the person looking at our paintings." "As a result," he said, "when the eye moves around my painting and finally leaves it, maybe seconds later, my name will be the last thing any person will see." Ha! Smart!
This principle is used today when Commercial Ads on tv put their name last...to impress their audience to buy their product.
I don't know, but this guy probably majored in Advertising as well.

All this came back today as I looked down into this doggy bag. The dog got her treat and I got a sweet art memory. Ain't life grand!

No comments:

Post a Comment