Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Yikes, don't give chocolate to a parrot!

This is Tybee.

Years ago, the Veterinarian told me to give Tybee some of everything I eat. I have. His favorites are pizza, noodles, cheese, animal cracker, cookie, and even a chicken leg; but NO avocado, NOR chocolate. Okay. That has been easy, I've done it for 24 years.

Yesterday, I had just come into the apartment and was opening the cellophane on a large cookie! Tybee, my double-yellow Mexican parrot started yelling when he saw the food. That was usual. When I waved the cookie at him, he quickly shut up!
Ha! Works every time!
Tybee kept an eye on me until I gave him part of my cookie. It looked like an oatmeal raisin cookie which was safe; so I gave him a piece. But when I took my first bite, I realized it was a chocolate chip cookie! Oh no, the chocolate could kill him.

Panic! I quickly opened the cage door. With my hands inside Tybee's cage, I ruffled him to get the last piece out of his mouth/beak. No luck! You should have seen me fighting this dumb parrot! It was almost humorous.
I broke off most of the cookie, but Tybee was still rolling around a beak-full of something and dodging my hand. He was not giving in.

I knew what I had to do. I quickly distracted Tybee by giving him the peak of his desires...some peanut butter on a spoon. I knew this would work. Yep, Tybee dropped the cookie piece to take the spoon with his beak. Whew! I shot this photo after I gave him the spoon of peanut butter.

Well, today when I woke up, Tybee was alive. Apparently, he did not get to the chocolate in the cookie. Close call.

No comments:

Post a Comment