Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Just about the time you think you have eaten most things...



I went into my neigh bor hood Kroger grocery store for some California Roll Sushi. Those of you that eat it regularly know how good it is. However, facing me among the Sushi, in the refrigerated counter, was this Sea Breeze Salad that was bright green. The girl behind the counter told me that it had agar agar and jelly fish in it.
Regarding the jelly fish-- well, since I have been stung by jellys while swimming in the Gulf, I thought it would be poetic justice to take a bite out of one of them. Ha.
At home, after I gingerly had eaten most of this salad, I Googled "agar" and found out that it is a "gelatinous substance derived from red algae." However, to my surprise, I also found out that it is used as a laxative. Oh great?
Surprisingly, it was very good. Crunchy, kinda sweet and tart; but the thin long crunchy strips kept getting caught in my teeth. Ha!
Reminded me of when I was a kid and kept losing the coin toss bets with my younger brother who is 6 years older. (I think it was rigged cause he thought it was so funny) Every time I lost the coin toss, I had to eat a chocolate square of the New York Macy's chocolate covered ants. Their little legs and antennae kept getting caught in my teeth-- frankly, a little like eating coconut.
By the way, try the Sea Breeze Salad...it's a tasty experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment